What is the point of Window Managers

In my journey on linux it has been good but i tried a wm on blackarch it was garbage its impossible for daily use but why some people still use it i see its use case to be having one or two Windows consisntently there but nothing else

1 Like

Just works good with some peoples work flow. If someone is really use to using key bindings I see how it can be good. I used i3 for a while and I somewhat got use to it. I still prefer floating. I just feel like there is more control over in floating.

They are generally lighter on RAM, but that depends on the WM and system. Tiling workflows are often found more productive for some people. I personally do not understand them.

Yeah i have seen WMs go as low as under 500 mb without other significant program running in background probably lower than that of course

Workflow speed and probably the low ram footprint.
I personally use Sway, basically i3 on Wayland on my Ryzen powered laptop (Reason why im using/trying wayland).
It works well for notetaking in class with neovim and its just generally faster for me instead of using the trackpad.

for notetaking in class with neovim

what.

1 Like

I can quickly open up terminals and have them arranged in a space efficient manner without having to use my trackpad, with my bad trackpad skills it’d take me longer lmao.

Makes sense, I just never thought I’d hear someone say they use VIM for note taking.

1 Like

Neovim is super quick for note taking unless you have to use latex for math equations.
Maybe I just have bad memory tho.
Still, using Markdown for notetaking with vim is pretty comfy for me too.

Also, I personally use DWM, once you set it up and patch it, you never really have to do it again, which is a plus for me.

Going from GNOME 3 to gnome 40 was a huge change for a lot of people, I believe that window managers tend to work exactly as you set them up, which makes them very reliable in that sense